Saturday, December 18, 2010

Witty and Whittier: the GUMBY'S GANG STARRING POKEY machine barrels through GEEKS COMICS on Greenleaf!

SPECIAL THANKS TO KATHRYN RENTA for these dynamic, out-of-control photos!

Dateline: December 15, '10. Location: Geeks Comics, Uptown Whittier. Gumby comes to town.
Sal runs the Geeks store, and Gumby treated him like royalty. He knows where his bread is buttered!
Rafael Navarro (artist on the book) and myself, the writer, show up to promote the POKEY comic. If we look like we just woke up, that's an optical illusion. In fact, we're protecting the homestead from hecklers and haters. Raf is doing his lion roar to fend off attackers. (He watched a lot of THUNDERCATS as a youth and he has learned their best moves!)
Rafael Navarro's left-handed.

So am I! What of it? We southpaws have sharp claws (more THUNDERCATS allusions...)
Speaking of cats, ME-OW! Who says cartoonists do not have groupies? (Do girlfriends count?)
That's Suave Jav Hernandez. He stopped by to deliver my mission from S.H.I.E.L.D. If you don't know that stand for "Supreme Headquarters International Espionage Law-Enforcement Department," then YOU'RE A FOOL!!!!

Eventually, a crowd grew...
We found ourselves signing a few books.

More hecklers and haters. Raffles, turn on your Lion-O!

When we sign at Geeks, it's always an occasion.

This is where things took a weird turn, as Jav unleashed a laser camera (developed by S.H.I.E.L.D.) on me mid-signing. WHAT?! You thought I joke about this espionage stuff? Here, he hits me with a smile ray when I'm not in the mood to show my teeth. What an insidious device!
Some of our fans were embarrassed by the scantily clad women on the back of our comics, so I had to draw skirts and tops over them so the kids won't notice. Soon, those skirts and tops became nuns' habits and, before long, I ran out of ink. Greenblatt the Great! is a fun book, by a copy here!

1 comment:

Javier Hernandez said...

You and Raf brought a lot of extra smiles to Whittier that day!

There was a good, steady stream of people walking in, no doubt intrigued by Gumby himself sliding around the floor and going inside the various books lining the shelves of GEEKS!

I'm glad my S.H.I.E.L.D. -issued Smile Laser Camera worked on you. My next assignment is to put a smile on that whiny brat Sour Boy (© Michael Aushenker, All Rights Reserved).