Saturday, October 24, 2009

A Bunch of Thanks to Those I Met at APE!



One of the terrific byproducts of doing a convention such as the great-and-getting-even-better ALTERNATIVE PRESS EXPO (APE) in San Francisco is making new cartoonist friends and new fans, and seeing the return of old friends. It was good to see my neighbor Seth Weber of Alarming Press again. He came down from Portland, although it's too bad our mutual, L.A.-based buddy Jon Clark couldn't go last minute (but his excellent, hilarious zines, available through Alarming Press, were well represented). Last we tabeled together, it was about three Comic-Cons back. I briefly got to schmooze it up with Kevin Cross (the Mod Monkey guy) and while I didn't get to talk to Mark Rudolph, that whole Portland crew seems rock solid and I look forward to meeting up with them again.

Patty Chung's "Diabetic Dog" is a terrific debut and a highlight of my APE swag. This is one kid who should keep cartooning. She's got stories to tell and knows how to tell them. Jeff F., Amy Z., Miki, Celina. And the return of convention regulars Jerry Marquez, soundtrack scholar Jimmy Aquino (the REAL Jimmy Aquino, please stand up, please stand up, please stand up!), Ricardo Padilla and Butch Adams was awesome! You peeps made my weekend! Thanks for the big welcome back to APE!

No comments: